29 November 2009

Before Draco Meets Harry -- Fanfiction Blog

** For my fanfiction piece, I have decided to add on to the beginning of the scene from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone where Draco Malfoy meets Harry Potter on the train to Hogwarts. I chose this scene, first of all, because I enjoyed reading Harry Potter much more than the other two novels that were a part of this project list; and also because I have read all of the Harry Potter books and am, therefore, quite familiar with the characters. I have never been interested in fan fiction, so this was quite a strange exercise for me to participate in. I am also not (and never have been) a good creative writer, so even thinking about doing this assignment was daunting. It honestly made me think about how some of my students feel when I give them a writing assignment that "scares" them, haha! Nevertheless, here is what I came up with (DON'T LAUGH! :-D)....... **

The train continued on its way from London to Hogwarts as all of the passengers mingled about. Some were chatting with old pals about their summer adventures, while others were making new friends as they shared their giddiness and fears about their upcoming first year at Hogwarts. Draco sat sulking in his train compartment with his bookend pals, Gregory Goyle and Vincent Crabb, who were arguing over who would get the extra piece of neon green candy from the Every Flavored Jelly Beans box. Even though they both knew the jelly bean was a horridly disgusting snot flavor, they argued just the same. Draco's father, Lucius Malfoy, had told him over and over again how important it was that he stand out at Hogwarts and live up to the family name. Draco knew that his knowledge of wizarding skills was nowhere near what his father's was when he had first started at Hogwarts. "How am I supposed to stand out if there are so many students that are much smarter than I?" Draco thought to himself. As he sat immersed in thought, he overheard several passengers in the halls of the train murmuring about the "celebrity" on board: the famous Harry Potter. Draco instantly had an idea-- if he could befriend Potter, he would instantly become popular with instructors and students by being friends with such a famous young wizard. He remembered their brief encounter at Madam Malkin's a few weeks prior as they were being fitted for robes. At the time, Draco had no idea who this new boy was, but was later informed by Madam Malkin just who he had been speaking to. Draco knew that befriending Harry would not be an easy thing for him to do. Harry was obviously close with Hagrid and the Weasley family, all of whom Draco's family despised. Holding his tongue would be quite a challenge, but he must do what he could. Determined, Draco rose from his seat and hushed Crabb and Goyle who were still in the middle of their argument, both with a hand on the box of jelly beans. With a wave of his hand, the two immediately followed Draco down the train halls as if they were hypnotized by Draco's presence alone.

1 comment:

  1. Draco was such a jerk! He reminded me of this fourth grader I had in class when I was a substitute for a couple weeks last spring. This kid would come and tattle-tale on any little thing that was going on in the classroom, I hate that!!! Draco, going behind their backs to tell on Harry, Ron, and Hermione for being out after dark. I didn't like this kid from the beginning and I still do not trust him!!! I like your FanFic!

    ReplyDelete