04 November 2009

Research Project

Teacher Inquiry Topic
Preparing elementary students to successfully read classical literature

Research Questions
1- Are students prepared at an elementary level to effectively read classical literature once they reach secondary school?
2- What are students expected to read immediately following elementary education?
3- Are there basal series that incorporate classical literature (even excerpts)?
4- As an elementary educator, am I preparing my students to be successful in an adolescent literature classroom?

Sources
So far I have collected the Language Arts basal curriculums from each elementary grade in my school (this consists of grades K-5 Houghton Mifflin Reading series: http://www.eduplace.com/rdg/index.jsp). I plan on researching scholarly articles this upcoming week, but a good portion of my research paper will be "action research" so I was mostly interested in obtaining the necessary information for that first! I also plan on contacting a middle school in the district to get copies of their curriculum to see which texts students are required to read as soon as they enter 6th grade.

Findings/Progress
My main goal this past week has been to visit a teacher from each grade level (excluding my own) in my building (K-5), chat with them about the literature that is offered to their students throughout the year and to obtain copies of the basal curriculums that they use. I have brought these home and have started leafing through them searching for any classical literature that is included (nothing so far... but I'm only about 3/4 of the way through the 1st grade curriculum). I know that many teachers in my building do not only use the basals, but incorporate a good amount of supplemental reading materials, so I am thinking about creating a survey for my project to pass out to teachers in my building requesting information about supplemental reading materials and/or topics that are discussed in the classroom throughout the school year (I am lucky to have a building that is very collegial; I know that all teachers would willingly participate). I suppose I could extend this survey to the middle school as well, asking 6th/7th grade teachers if they feel that their students are prepared to read the materials that they are given in the beginning of the year.

1 comment:

  1. Leah,

    I like your "action research" approach, and this seems like the type of research that will actually benefit you (and your colleagues) as a teacher. I'm looking forward to learning more about what you discover. As you move forward, you might want to consider how you personally define "classical" literature. What specifically are you looking for as you dig through each of these textbooks? I'll also be curious to learn what the teachers you interview say. Good luck as you move forward! Let me know if I can help in any way.

    ReplyDelete