06 October 2009

Monster

Monster by Myers was an easy-to-read, very enjoyable novel about a young, African-American man's struggle fighting racial prejudices and the American justice system.  The format of this novel (written as a screenplay) would be an excellent addition to any young adult literature curriculum.  Aside from its multicultural content, the text format is sure to be a different and very nice break for students, who are most likely immersed in deep, intense, traditionally-written novels.  The screenplay format lends itself to all kinds of unique activities that educators could bring into the classroom.  This could include students writing about a significant event in their lives in a screenplay format.  It obviously lends itself to a Reader's Theatre format.  It could lead the way for other dramas and/or screenplays to be read in the classroom.  This is an excellent text to use for interdisciplinary studies--the literature teacher could work with the technology, broadcasting, or computer science teacher in order to help students better understand the specific film terminology in the novel.  I believe that the play Twelve Angry Men by Reginald Rose would be a wonderful literature "pairing" to read with Monster.  Both of these works tell the story of a difficult trial in court, yet they are told from different perspectives.  Monster is written from the defendant's point of view, while Twelve Angry Men is written from the point of view of the jurors in the courtroom.  I could go on and on with different lesson ideas for using Monster in a literature class for adolescents, but I think you get the picture....

In regards to Daniel Hade's article "Reading Multiculturally," I unfortunately do not have such pleasant things to say as I did about Myers's Monster.  I will admit that Hade did not get off to a good start with his article in my opinion.... he began his article by mentioning a discussion that he had with his daughters about Disney's The Lion King in which he mistakenly identifies the lion father character as "Mustafa" when the character's name is actually "Mufasa."  Now, you may think that I am being ridiculously picky; but, I have a strong background in journalism and I strongly believe that each and every piece of published work should be fact-checked several times!  This obviously did not happen here, and I began my reading of this article quite disappointed.  

Aside from this, as I continued reading, I couldn't help but feel that Hade was a reverse-racist with entirely too much white guilt on his mind.  He too often complains about racial stereotypes in African American literature, and yet does not seem to mind that the majority of "white" literature is obviously a stereotype as well.  His view of the reason for teaching multicultural literature also upset me.  I completely agree that we as teachers need to do all that we can to expose our children to multicultural literature that is outside of their day-to-day spectrum.  For many students, what they are exposed to in the classroom may be all that they ever see of the world outside of their small towns.  Hade, however, suggests that the sole purpose for reading multicultural literature needs to be to spur social change and social justice.  I believe that this can be an effect of reading multicultural literature, but not the purpose.  The purpose should be awareness of other cultures, religions, beliefs, ideals, etc., outside of one's own.  

On another note, I have spent several years studying reading education and children's literature; and Hade made a statement in his article that really did not set well with me at all!  On p.240, Hade states: "Viewing reading as an act of comprehension places authority outside the reader.  A semiotic view of reading focuses upon interpretation and interpretation is reader-based."  As a reading/literature teacher, we absolutely cannot discount comprehension!!  The purpose of reading a text is to comprehend it.  Yes, interpretation is important, but this is something that is brought to a text to AID in comprehension!  Interpretation is based on individual backgrounds and experiences that a reader brings to a text when they are reading it--this assists the reader in comprehending the material that they are reading.  Several highly-acclaimed researchers (Louise Rosenblatt, for example) have conducted studies showing that the more background knowledge a student brings to a text, the more they are able to comprehend, thus the more they are able to take away from the text.  Comprehension and interpretation work hand-in-hand during the reading process; and I feel that Hade needs to be careful not to separate the two!

7 comments:

  1. Great points. I knew something was wrong with "Mustafa" but couldn't figure it out. He should have checked that (or someone should have found it) before it was published.
    And you are definitely right about the "reverse-racism" (though some would argue that reverse-racism is just plain racism) in this---a lot of white lit is very stereotypical. Not all of us live in the burbs and drive cars---many take public transportation and that's it!
    I also agree with you that raising awareness of other cultures should be a purpose in teaching multicultural lit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I couldn't help but feel that Hade was a reverse-racist with entirely too much white guilt on his mind. He too often complains about racial stereotypes in African American literature, and yet does not seem to mind that the majority of "white" literature is obviously a stereotype as well. His view of the reason for teaching multicultural literature also upset me."

    I was wondering when some of this might come up. I think these ideas will make for a very animated discussion tonight! Some wonderful food for thought here Leah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you brought up a lot of good points in your blog. I liked the idea of having students write their own sceenplay about an even that occured in their lives. I think, for the most part, students would enjoy this.
    Hade's "reverse racism" is something that I often think about. It frustrates me that so much focus is pinned on how there is a lot of stereotyping of other cultures and races in novels. Sometimes it seems as if the white race is almost being pushed into the shadows to allow everyone else to have their time. A big thing for me that I deal with is, why is there so much focus on skin color anyway? Aren't we all just people? I know that race is something that will never go away, and students do need to be aware of what it entails. However, I think that should include, all races, including the white race.
    There should be no guilt behind that, and I'm not sure why Hade feels that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your idea that social change and justice is an EFFECT but not the purpose of reading multicultural literature. I couldn't quite articulate my thoughts, but this hit me dead on when you said it. It is ridiculous to think that the sole purpose of reading something is to spur change. While it is great if it does, there are so many other "purposes" of reading multicultural literature. It bothered me that he zeroed in on spurring social change as THE reason for teaching multicultural literature, and all other teaching is just "tourism."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually circled the typo of Mufasa because I was wondering how a published article could have such a well-known character's name misspelled. On a different note, one of the middle school philosophies deals with exposure rather than mastery of concepts. I think multiculturalism falls under this category as well - it's our job as educators to expose our students to all cultures - not just those that are considered oppressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You said that Hade believes that the "sole purpose for reading multiculural literature needs to be to spur social change and social justice". You disagreed, saying the purpose should be awareness of other cultures,...etc. outside of ones own.
    Hades states that, "multiculturalism wasn't merely about learning about others and tolerating difference" (237). My question is one that Hade raises- if we're simply teaching tolerance without action, then aren't we teaching students to accept the status quo?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I became a little upset with the "Mustafa" screw up. As far as the comprehension/interpretation bit, you couldn't have stated that any better. Comprehension is the single most important thing when it comes to reading. Great connections and points!

    ReplyDelete