28 September 2009

Speak

Well, after reading Brooke's blog, I feel like I should just copy and paste everything that she wrote!  Her sentiments seemed to come right out of my head, saying everything that I wanted to say!  Well done, Brooke!

Speak was an extremely well-written novel focusing on a young girl's struggle to share her deepest secret with those around her.  Melinda consistently tried to find ways to voice her self, but was not able to find the language.  Even through her art, she found struggle in finding a voice.  I did find it a bit difficult to read the book, simply because I knew what had happened before I read it (my husband read the book last year and had discussed it with me).  I believe that, had I been unaware of what Melinda was being silent about, I may have made more of a connection to the text.

Although I understand the need to write a book like this, I find it extremely disheartening that this was allowed to occur and no one in Melinda's life seemed to notice a problem.  When I see a student whose personality takes a serious shift, I feel confident that I take notice and take action by speaking either to him/her or making a phone call to the parents.  Children are typically so easily read by those adults around them (such as parents and teachers), and although I know that personality changes happen and children grow up, I find it hard to believe that this silence was overlooked.  It almost seems like the book was a bit unrealistic in that manner--would a young girl in Melinda's predicament truly be forced to remain silent for that long?  I surely hope not, although I fear that perhaps it happens all too frequently (especially in high schools).  

This would absolutely be a book that I would introduce into my adolescent literature classroom's curriculum.  Although Melinda was silenced because of rape, her story of the struggle with finding her voice can be used across so many issues.  Every teen feels at some point in their adolescence that they are different from every one else and that "no one understands me."  I feel that everyone would be able to find a connection with Melinda, be it a struggle with sexuality, personal appearance, family issues, or even (god-forbid) something as terrible as rape or assault.  Speak could generate some wonderful conversations and would be an excellent addition to a high school classroom.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the props, Leah! I agree about the unjustice of Melinda's situation - I found it difficult to believe that no one cared enough to find out what was wrong with her. I think that sadly, some parents are clueless, or uncaring, much like Melinda's seem to be. I agree that this would be a good novel for a high school classroom, and if I read the part in the back of the novel correctly, I think it is widely used in that fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post and Brooke's post were the first two that I read, and I agree so much with both of you. I don't know what it is like to be a teacher yet and to have adolescents around me all the time, but I do hope that I would notice a sudden change like this in a student. It is hard to believe that she had such a dramatic change and no one seemed to notice, including her parents. However, we do hear too often the fact that girls who have been raped are scared to share their story.
    I agree with you on the fact that I would teach this book in my class. I think it can bring a lot of interesting points to the classroom, without focusing on the whole rape situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "no one in Melinda's life seemed to notice a problem. When I see a student whose personality takes a serious shift, I feel confident that I take notice and take action by speaking either to him/her or making a phone call to the parents."

    I think this is where we need to start as educators. It is unrealistic to think that our students will not be struggling through many of these issues. Many of them are "silenced." What can we do to help them "Speak?" During my time as a high school English teacher, several students came out to me, others confided that they were being sexually or physically abused. Students will look to you to be their "safe havens." What do we do for them when they finally do have the courage to speak?

    ReplyDelete